Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005
Dietary Guidelines for Americans is published jointly every 5 years by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Department of Agriculture (USDA). The Guidelines provide authoritative advice for people two years and older about how good dietary habits can promote health and reduce risk for major chronic diseases.
The 2005 edition of the Guidelines was released at 11 AM, January 12, 2005.
Please note that documents in PDF format require Adobe’s Acrobat Reader.
Everyday healthy eating and physical activity for life—A Healthier You Based on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- Transcript Of HHS-USDA Press Conference:
- Secretary of Health and Human Services Tommy G. Thompson
- Secretary of Agriculture Ann M.Veneman
- Media Questions and Answers
<!–p>Audio soundbites from Sec. Thompson and Sec. Veneman will be available as a wave file following the press conference.–>
Consumer Brochure: Finding Your Way to a Healthier You: Based on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans (PDF 229 KB)
- Media Graphics (high resolution) and Audio Clips:
- Archived Webcast:
- A live webcast of the press conference can be viewed at http://videocast.nih.gov.
- On-demand video will be available the following day at the same address.
- RealPlayer is required to view the video; a free download is available at http://www.real.com/freeplayer/?rppr=fed.
- Please test your computer video configuration in advance at http://videocast.nih.gov/browsertest (choose ‘Test world accessible video’).
- For assistance, contact (301) 496-4357 or toll free (866) 319-4357.
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2005
To purchase printed copies of this 80-page report (Stock Number 001-000-04719-1), call the U.S. Government Printing Office toll-free at (866) 512-1800, or access the GPO Online Bookstore at http://bookstore.gpo.gov.
- Finding Your Way to a Healthier You
To purchase printed copies of this 12-page brochure (Stock Number 001-000-04718-3), call the U.S. Government Printing Office toll-free at (866) 512-1800, or access the GPO Online Bookstore at http://bookstore.gpo.gov.
- Food Safety (www.foodsafety.gov)
- Food Labeling (Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, FDA, HHS)
- Physical Activity (President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports)
- Alcohol (National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, NIH, HHS)
- Adult Energy Needs and BMI Calculator (Agricultural Research Service, USDA)
- DASH Eating Plan (National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, NIH, HHS)
- Measuring Physical Activity Intensity (National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, CDC, HHS)
- MyPyramid Interactive Food Guidance System (U.S. Department of Agriculture)
- Healthy Lifestyles (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
- 5 A Day (National Cancer Institute, NIH, HHS)
- Verb (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, HHS)
- Milk Matters (National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, NIH, HHS)
General Health and Nutrition Information
- www.healthfinder.gov (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
- www.nutrition.gov (U.S. Department of Agriculture)
Brought to you by the Executive Office of the President and the Department of Health and Human Services.